The basics of accurate shooting and ethical hunting lie in knowing the accurate distance to your target. The hunting rangefinder is the best device that measure the remoteness of an object with high accuracy. Based on their calculated distance (between you and your target), you can more accurately plan before you shoot.
Typically, hunting and shooting are deemed challenging sports because you need to consider various factors like distance, wind speed, temperature, angle, and barometric pressure. If you want to accurately shoot at a distance, you will need a long-range hunting rangefinder. You can take into account several key aspects to choose the most appropriate hunting rangefinder for your needs. These aspects are the maximum supported range, size, visual quality, aperture size, shooting accuracy, magnification, durability, user-friendliness, viewpoint compensation, and price. To eliminate your confusion on how to pick up the best hunting rangefinder in 2023, we have highlighted the best ones along with a section on how to choose them.
List of The Best Hunting Rangefinder
Check out the thorough reviews of the best hunting rangefinder in 2023 below.
This TIDEWE hunting rangefinder can be your best hunting rangefinder if you are looking for large magnification, portability, high accuracy, and an easy-to-read display. It shows a straight-line vertical distance and horizontal distance and brings you closer to your target. The scanning function lets you scan all factors impacting your play. One of its extraordinary aspects is it supports the well-known camo pattern. It helps you to stay wholly hidden in the forests.
Being weather resistant and IP54 waterproof, it can sustain the harshest environmental conditions. Its working operation is quite easy to use. You just need to point to the target and push a button. Consequently, you instantly obtain accurate range data on the LCD screen.
Owing to its compact size and portability, it is perfect for long-lasting hunting or shooting sessions. The included lanyard and ergonomic design help you to comfortably carry it anywhere.
- It provides 6x magnification.
- The detection range is 3 to 1000 yards.
- The measurement accuracy is +/- 1 yard.
- The measuring speed is <0.5s which makes sure you never miss your targets.
- The range of the measurement speed is 0-300km/h.
- The built-in 750 mAh rechargeable Li-ion battery helps the rangefinder to measure 20000 times after a full charge.
- The laser class is Class 1 (Eye-Safe).
- Dimensions and weight: 5.94 x 3.43 x 2.72 inches; 0.35 lb.
Pros And Cons
The ability to detect targets up to 1,400 yards of range makes this Vortex rangefinder a preferred choice for both casual and avid hunters. ArmorTek XR coatings protect the lenses from damaging outdoor elements. The coatings also offer maximum light transmission for supreme clarity and low-light performance.
Due to its lightweight design, it can accommodate a hunter’s loadout or a bowhunter’s pack. It stays durable in most environmental conditions because it is waterproof and shockproof. Quality polymer is used in construction.
The included soft carry case lets you easily access this rangefinder whether you are at the range or within the field. The accessories included are a soft carry case, a lens cloth, a CR2 battery, a bungee cord lanyard, a wrist lanyard hook, and a loop harness attachment.
- It comes with a 21 mm objective lens and 5x magnification.
- The implemented HD optical system utilizes select glass elements to provide outstanding resolution. The corresponding resolution decreases chromatic aberration and offers excellent color fidelity.
- The red TOLED display guarantees display clarity in any lighting conditions.
- To work flawlessly in any hunting environment, the rangefinder supports two ranging modes (LOS and HCD) and three target modes (First, Last, and Normal)
- You can activate the “Scan” feature by pressing and holding the “Measure” button. Holding the button in the depressed state will let the Scan feature constantly calculate distance when you pan horizontally across target objects.
- Dimensions and weight: 4 x 1.3 x 2.9 inches; 9.6 ounces.
Pros And Cons
In terms of fast and accurate shooting, AOFAR HX-700N can be one of the best hunting rangefinders on this list. It is employed cutting-edge AI technology that automatically calculates the speed or distance of your target. Being lightweight and portable, you can easily carry it for hunting or golfing. Moreover, its body is dust-resistant and IPX4 waterproof.
- The advanced pinsensor technology is implemented to provide high accuracy with ±1 yard.
- The maximum magnification is 6x.
- The measuring range is up to 700 yards.
- You can activate the range mode to get an outstanding hunting experience in harsh weather.
- Two available modes are Range and Speed.
- The continuous scan helps you to easily detect the target.
- Dimensions and weight: 43.31 x 17.72 x 29.53 inches; 180 grams.
Pros And Cons
Generally, this WOSPORTS rangefinder is a preferred choice for hunting and archery. Its ergonomic design lets it comfortably fit in your hands. The included battery cover keeps it protected. The continuous scan helps you to effortlessly detect the target.
It is made from Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene which makes it lightweight, comfortable, and safe against harsh weather conditions. Being IP54 waterproof rated, its body stays unaffected due to rain and water splash.
- It can detect the target in the range of 5 to 800 yards.
- The maximum magnification is 6x.
- The latest laser technology is implemented for fast shooting.
- The measurement accuracy is ±1 yard.
- The measuring reading speed is less than 0.5s.
- 3 modes are Target Lock, Distance, and Speed (0-300km/h).
- The easy-focus eyepiece provides clear visibility of your target.
- The rangefinder automatically shuts off after 10 seconds of inactivity to conserve battery life.
- Dimensions and weight: 2.01 x 0.79 x 1.61 inches; 0.22 kg.
Pros And Cons
The Sig Sauer laser range finding monocular is one of the best hunting rangefinders on the market for hunting, military & tactical applications, and airsoft. The reason is it offers outstanding performance, is easy to use, and features are worthwhile for the price. This 5×20 mm range finding monocular is equipped with SpectraCoat anti-reflection coatings to provide excellent optical clarity and light transmission. Moreover, the ultra-high transmittance LCD offers excellent low-light performance. A CR2 battery is included.
- The cutting-edge Lightwave Technology (with a DSP engine) is implemented to ensure the fastest and longest detection of the target.
- HyperScan offers four times the range updates per second in “Scan” mode.
- RangeLock records the last range result while measuring far targets.
- The rangefinder contains Line-Of-Sight (LOS), Applied Ballistics Ultralight (ABU), and Angle Modified Range (AMR) for use with the Ballistics Data Xchange (BDX) system.
- The maximum magnification range is 5x.
- The eye relief is 18 mm.
- The field of view is 7.5° (39.5 feet @ 100 yards).
- The measuring time is 0.25 seconds.
- The reticle pattern is the circle.
- The beam divergence is 2.00 x 0.25 MRAD.
- Dimensions and weight: 3.9 x 1.4 x 2.9 inches; 5.3 ounces.
Pros And Cons
Leupold RX-1400i rangefinder is the most functional and most versatile rangefinder in its class. It is incorporated with Leupold’s proprietary ranging engine to provide lightning-fast accuracy. You can clearly note the readings on its bright red TOLED display (supports high light transmission). It is 100% IP54 waterproof, so it stays durable and secure in all weather conditions. The design also features a Mossy Oak Bottomland finish and an easy-grip rubber armor.
- The maximum magnification is 5x.
- The efficient DNA laser engine provides accurate measurements up to 125 yards.
- True Ballistic Range with Wind (TBR/W) technology offers ballistically measured ranges for very accurate shots at far distances and sharp angles.
- A hold point is included for a 10-mph crosswind up to 800 yards distance.
- You can choose among three reticles: Duplex, Plus Point, and Duplex with Plus Point.
- Last Target Mode allows the rangefinder to detect the farthest target in the laser’s track. Hence, twigs and grasses don’t negatively impact the range.
- Dimensions and weight: 5.63 x 4.65 x 3.23 inches; 0.28 kg.
Pros And Cons
Gogogo Sport Vpro laser rangefinder is well-known for offering accurate distance measurements. Its continuous range function ensures constant detection of the target with high accuracy. It is made from quality plastic. The pack contains accessories like a CR2 battery, a canvas carrying bag, a microfiber cleaning cloth, a strap, and a manual.
- The measuring range is 5 to 650 yards. The measurement accuracy is ±1 yard.
- The maximum magnification is 6x.
- The fully multicoated optic lens decreases reflected light and boosts the transmission of light. Hence, you get a vivid and clear image and clear readings.
- The adjustable diopter helps you to accurately focus on the display.
- Three modes are Speed Mode, Slope Mode, and Scan Mode.
- The field angle is 7°.
- The measuring time ranges from 0.5 – 1 second.
- The supported measurement units are the yard and meter.
- The angle compensation is ±45°.
- The pin seeker range is 5 to 150 yards.
- The diameter of the objective lens and eyepiece lens is 25 mm and 16 mm respectively.
- The laser type is 905 nm.
- The low battery indicator is included.
- Dimensions and weight: 110 x 45 x 74mm; 0.27 kg.
Pros And Cons
How To Pick The Best Hunting Rangefinder?
Go through the details of the important factors that help you to choose the best hunting rangefinder according to your needs and budget.
1. Intended use
Firstly, you must consider under what circumstances you want to use a hunting rangefinder. You can go for an affordably priced hunting rangefinder if you intend to use it for casual distance measurements and occasional hunting. For an enthusiastic bowhunter, a hunting rangefinder with short-distance accuracy is an appropriate choice. But if you are an avid hunter, you must choose a hunting rangefinder that offers high accuracy across long distances.
One of the crucial aspects you must not overlook is the range. The ideal range of typical hunting rangefinders is 700 – 800 yards. Especially for rifle hunting, you will need a hunting rangefinder with a broad range. With meticulous research, you can find a hunting rangefinder that supports up to 1000 yards range. This broad range helps you to detect an animal far away and also allows you to target prey located within 500 yards. The range improves the distance covered and also improves the odds of successfully shooting the target.
It is imperative to consider magnification if you want a bright view of your target. The lens magnification determines the accuracy of the calculation.
You will need a hunting rangefinder with a minimum of 4x magnification if you want to shoot a target beyond 600 yards. Mostly, a hunting rangefinder with a magnification range of 4x to 10x is recommended if you aim to obtain an outstanding field of view. Moreover, this magnification range helps you shoot more accurately and increases your odds of winning. For rifle hunting, you can consider a hunting rangefinder that at least supports 6x to 7x magnification.
Your hunting pursuit may involve climbing trees, tackling natural obstacles, finding the way through dense forest areas, etc. So, your hunting rangefinder will be subjected to rigorous wear & tear. Make sure you choose a hunting rangefinder that can withstand damage due to external elements. You can buy one made of polymer or acrylonitrile butadiene styrene. You can choose the one that provides fog and waterproofing. It lets you hunt even in abnormal weather conditions.
5. Angle compensation
If your rangefinder lacks angle compensation, you can’t effectively fire projectile shots. It can increase the odds of losing your game. You can buy a laser rangefinder that provides precise angel compensation like ±45°.
6. Receiver Aperture
The accuracy of a laser hunting rangefinder significantly depends on the receiver aperture. The great aperture facilitates a better assortment of data when the laser beam returns. Moreover, it also conveys bright image output with high optical resolution.
FAQs When Picking The Best Hunting Rangefinder
1. Do you need to focus on any safety considerations when using a hunting rangefinder? What are they?
Yes, it is crucial to focus on safety considerations when using a hunting rangefinder. Firstly, when scanning for objects using a rangefinder, make sure to prevent pointing the device at other individuals or animals. Make sure to always point your rangefinder away from your eyes and face when in use. Secondly, you must never look directly at the light beam produced by a range finder. Make sure to have eye protection when using a rangefinder under bright sunlight.
2. Is a rangefinder useful for bow hunting?
The use of a rangefinder for bow hunting proves to be quite helpful. It helps the hunters to measure the distance between their location and their prey. So, it ensures high precision by making adjustments to either scope or bow sight. Consequently, it significantly improves the odds of a successful shot. They also offer angle compensation so you don’t have to perform a manual angle calculation. A bow hunter who is targeting prey located at a distance of more than 20 yards requires a precise gauge which is provided by a rangefinder.
3. What is the importance of close target sensitivity in a hunting rangefinder?
The range measures the farthest distance to be calculated, the target sensitivity measures the closest length that you can target. For small prey hunting or deer hunting with crossbows, the best hunting rangefinder that accurately measures in yards is an appropriate choice.
4. How does a hunting rangefinder with multiple readings benefit you?
The newest rangefinders are implemented with multi-pulse technology. It allows you to read multiple readings allowing you to accurately measure the distance. It works great in small targets, fog, rain, and low light. The multiple readings can limit the odds of error.
Hunters who undervalue the worth quality rangefinders are at risk of underestimating or overestimating the actual distance of the target. Consequently, it leads to a decreased number of kill shots. These devices guide your shot irrespective of the distance or landscape. They can accurately read far distances and inform you of the exact distance between you and the targeted object. The accurate distance measurement, lightweight yet durable construction, portability, easy-to-read display, and powerful battery life are some of the key qualities of the best hunting rangefinder.
Enjoyed this article on the best hunting rangefinder? Then be sure to check out our other guides.